Η Φωτογραφία της ημέρας.

Φωτογραφία, ζωγραφική, γλυπτική, ψηφιδωτά, κ.ά.
Άβαταρ μέλους
The Rebel
Phorum.gr user: Wild Rebel

Re: Η Φωτογραφία της ημέρας.

Μη αναγνωσμένη δημοσίευση από The Rebel » 25 Ιαν 2024, 20:20

Jimi Hendrix.

Εικόνα

“What I hate is this thing of society these days trying to put everything and everybody into little tight cellophane compartments. I hate to be in any type of compartment unless I choose it myself.
The world is getting to be a drag. I ain’t gonna be any cellophane socialite.
They don’t get me in any cellophane cage. Nobody cages me”.
Jimi Hendrix (Hit Parader. November 1969).

Άβαταρ μέλους
The Rebel

Μη αναγνωσμένη δημοσίευση από The Rebel » 26 Ιαν 2024, 19:51

Freddie King.

Εικόνα

The “Texas Cannonball”!
“Blues innovator Freddie King sang like a lion and struck his guitar’s strings with rattlesnake intensity. Those talents, along with his compositional brilliance, took King to the pinnacle of success in the blues world of the sixties and seventies.” - Ted Srodowski.

Άβαταρ μέλους
The Rebel

Μη αναγνωσμένη δημοσίευση από The Rebel » 27 Ιαν 2024, 21:00

Charley Patton.

Εικόνα

“Charley Patton - (April 1891 – April 28, 1934), also known as Charlie Patton, was an American Delta blues musician. Considered by many to be the "Father of the Delta Blues", he created an enduring body of American music and inspired most Delta blues musicians. The musicologist Robert Palmer considered him one of the most important American musicians of the twentieth century”.

Άβαταρ μέλους
The Rebel

Μη αναγνωσμένη δημοσίευση από The Rebel » 28 Ιαν 2024, 19:38

Lefty Dizz.

Εικόνα

(April 29, 1937 – September 7, 1993)
“In a town like Chicago, where the competition in blues clubs was tough and keen (and still is on a hot night), certain musicians quickly learned that sometimes red-hot playing and singing didn't always get the job done by themselves. You had to entertain, put on a show, because there was always someone looking to take your gig away from you.
SpoilerShow
Only those willing to protect their bandstand -- and their livelihood in the long run -- by generally peppering their presentation with a small to large dollop of showmanship were smart enough to hang in for the long run, keeping both their hometown audience and their turf intact. Although blues revisionist history always seems to overlook this, the show that T-Bone Walker, Guitar Slim, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Buddy Guy, and others did in front of a Black audience was wilder and far more audacious than the one a more reserved White audience ever got to see. For wild-ass showmen in blues history, though, one would certainly have to go a far piece to beat Walter Williams, known to blues fans in Chicago and Europe as Lefty Dizz.

A regular fixture of the Chicago scene from the mid-'60s into the early '90s, Lefty was quite a sight back in those days; fronting his band, Shock Treatment, playing and singing with an unbridled enthusiasm while simultaneously putting on a show that would have old-timers guffawing in appreciation while scaring White patrons out of their wits.

As an entertainer, he was simply nothing less than a modern-day Guitar Slim informed with the outrage of a Hendrix, pulling out every trick in the book to win over an audience, whether he was protecting his home turf bandstand or stealing the show while sitting in somewhere else.

It was nothing for him to play a slow blues, bring the band down, and start walking through the crowd dragging his beat-up Stratocaster behind him like a sack of potatoes, playing it with one hand the entire time. Or take on some young Turk axeman gunning for his scalp (and gig) by kicking off Freddie King's "Hideaway" at an impossibly fast tempo, calling for break after break while infusing all of them with so many eye-popping gags that the young Turk in question was merely reduced to becoming another member of the audience. As a bluesman, he was nothing less than deep and 100-percent for real. Nobody messed with Lefty Dizz.” - Cub Koda (allmusic).

Άβαταρ μέλους
The Rebel

Μη αναγνωσμένη δημοσίευση από The Rebel » 29 Ιαν 2024, 20:13

Homesick James, Johnny Shines, and Howlin’ Wolf.
Good times with friends!

Εικόνα

Άβαταρ μέλους
The Rebel

Μη αναγνωσμένη δημοσίευση από The Rebel » 30 Ιαν 2024, 20:03

John Lee Hooker.

Εικόνα
SpoilerShow
John Lee Hooker on the genesis of his 1961 hit Boom Boom…

“I used to play at this place called the Apex Bar in Detroit. There was a young lady there named Luilla, she was a bartender there. I would come in there at night and I’d never be on time. Every night the band would beat me there; sometimes they’d be on the bandstand playing by the time I got there. Whenever I’d come in she’d point at me and say ‘Boom boom, you’re late again.’ It dawned on me that that was a good name for a song. Then one night she said, “Boom boom, I’m gonna shoot you down.’ She gave me a song but she didn’t know it.”

“I took that thing and I hummed it all the way home from the bar. At night I went to bed and I was still thinking of it. I got up the next day and put one and one together, two and two together, trying to piece it out—taking things out, putting things in. I finally got it down right, got it together, got it down in my head. Then I went and sang it, and everybody went, Wow!”

“About two months later I recorded it, and the record shot straight to the top. That barmaid felt pretty good. She went around telling everybody ‘I got John Lee to write that song.’ I gave her some bread for it, too, so she was pretty happy.”

Quoted in Working musicians: Defining moments from the road, the studio, and the stage by Bruce Pollock (New York: HarperEntertainment, 2002, pp. 290–91).

Άβαταρ μέλους
The Rebel

Μη αναγνωσμένη δημοσίευση από The Rebel » 01 Φεβ 2024, 20:34

“The Kingfish” Christone Ingram.

Εικόνα

“There’s a lot wrong with the blues genre right now – a lot of people don’t think about the history and the significance of the actual culture" - Christone Ingram.
The photo is from Morgan Freeman’s “Ground Zero Club” in Clarksdale, MS.

Άβαταρ μέλους
The Rebel

Μη αναγνωσμένη δημοσίευση από The Rebel » 02 Φεβ 2024, 20:30

Mississippi John Hurt.

Εικόνα

“Mississippi John Hurt played fingerpicking guitar blues that were as gentle as a country lullaby.
A creased and tiny man with wide and beatific eyes, he was ushered onto the national stage during the heyday of the folk revival in the early 1960s, by then a senior citizen with just a few more years to live. He sang both gospel numbers and bawdy rags, all the while conveying a life-affirming serenity over a quietly thrumming guitar.” - David Segal (Washington Post).

Άβαταρ μέλους
The Rebel

Μη αναγνωσμένη δημοσίευση από The Rebel » 03 Φεβ 2024, 20:42

Lightnin’ Hopkins.

Εικόνα

"The blues is a lot like church…”.
“When a preacher's up there preachin' the Bible, he's honest to God trying to get you to understand these things.”
“Well, singing the blues is the same thing."
Samuel John "Lightnin" Hopkins.
(March 15, 1912 – January 30, 1982)

Άβαταρ μέλους
The Rebel

Μη αναγνωσμένη δημοσίευση από The Rebel » 04 Φεβ 2024, 20:13

Muddy Waters and Henry “Son” Sims.

Εικόνα

This is the oldest known photo of Muddy Waters. Taken in 1942, it shows the two musicians sitting on the porch of Muddy’s home in Stovall, Mississippi. (Near Clarksdale).
Henry “Son” Sims was a Delta fiddle player and song writer. He is known for playing with a young Muddy Waters. He is also known for having played with Charlie Patton. He is also remembered for being a WW1 veteran.
Photographed by John Work III, 1942.

Άβαταρ μέλους
The Rebel

Μη αναγνωσμένη δημοσίευση από The Rebel » 05 Φεβ 2024, 20:10

Big Mama Thornton.

Εικόνα

“Big Mama Thornton was a fiercely independent woman; sometimes described as intimidating because of her physical frame and demeanour. Her personality may well have been a result of nature and nurture, given her difficult childhood and early adult years. In the context of the 1950s for a black female singer to break from the gender stereotype and stand out in a male dominated industry, a no-nonsense disposition was surely essential. In many ways, Thornton was a pioneer.” - Soul Source.

Άβαταρ μέλους
The Rebel

Μη αναγνωσμένη δημοσίευση από The Rebel » 06 Φεβ 2024, 20:28

Little Freddie King.

Εικόνα

“One of the last bluesmen of his generation in a city famed for its jazz, King has become a local emblem over the years. Born Fread Eugene Martin in 1940 in the small town of McComb, Mississippi, he has ridden the peaks and troughs of New Orleans’s fortunes since he hopped the train south as a teenager.
SpoilerShow
His shows can feel like a transport back in time. He plays an often chaotic, dirty form of country blues – “gutbucket”, as he defines it. One cable, straight from guitar to amp, no effects or overdrive. It’s fluid tempo and timing, harmonica riffs, and stories that tell the tales of growing up poor in the Magnolia state and then life in New Orleans.

“It comes from the heart and the soul and the feeling, and also the depression that you went through” he says, when we meet the day before his birthday show. “People ask me, ‘Do you think the younger guys play the blues like you play?’ And I say: ‘No way.’ That’s because they didn’t go through what I went through. They have to pay their dues. Walk the streets with holes in their shoes, work a whole month without getting paid, like I did.’”

Little Freddie King has certainly paid his dues. During the past 81 years he has survived three shootings, a handful of stabbings, a near fatal bike accident that pressed his spine, a stomach ulcer doctors believed would kill him, an accidental electrocution, the hurricane that ripped New Orleans apart in 2005, and now a pandemic that claimed the lives of a number of other musicians of his generation across this city.” - Oliver Laughland.

Άβαταρ μέλους
The Rebel

Μη αναγνωσμένη δημοσίευση από The Rebel » 07 Φεβ 2024, 19:46

Hubert Sumlin.

Εικόνα

"Hubert is the heaviest, most original guitar player
I've ever heard in my life." - Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Άβαταρ μέλους
The Rebel

Μη αναγνωσμένη δημοσίευση από The Rebel » 09 Φεβ 2024, 19:51

Matt “Guitar” Murphy.

Εικόνα

“When you mention Matt “Guitar” Murphy around people who think they know something about blues music, but really don’t… you frequently get a response of rolled eyes.
SpoilerShow
See, Murphy is mostly known by his work in the Blues Brothers movies and not his works in the studio and on the stage. If that’s all you know about him, you are cheating yourself. The credentials are there, and Murphy has played with some of the greats of the scene.

Since taking up the guitar at the age of 13, Murphy has worked with Howlin’ Wolf, Little Junior Parker, Ike Turner, James Cotton, Otis Rush, Etta James, Sonny Boy Williamson, Chuck Berry, Little Junior Parker, Bobby “Blue” Bland, Memphis Slim and Etta James, while touring with Muddy Waters, Big Joe Williams and others too numerous to mention.” - Derrick Lord .

Άβαταρ μέλους
The Rebel

Μη αναγνωσμένη δημοσίευση από The Rebel » 10 Φεβ 2024, 19:40

Prince.

Εικόνα

Remembering Prince Rogers Nelson.
(June 7, 1958 – April 21, 2016)

“’When Doves Cry’ is it for me, really. That opening guitar figure is killer. That passage solidified our admiration for Prince as a truly gifted soloist on the six-string — something that was overlooked ’til the sound of that first fill hit the airwaves.” - Billy Gibbons.

“Underrated.” That is the word that best describes Prince, the Guitarist. Why? Because his phenomenal guitar-playing was just one arrow in a quiver full of remarkable talents. He was such a masterful singer, songwriter, producer, performer, bandleader, dancer, multi-instrumentalist and global sex icon that his overall Prince-ness often eclipsed what may have been his most formidable talent: playing guitar.” - Tom Morello.

Απάντηση

• Παραπλήσια Θέματα
    Απαντήσεις
    Προβολές
    Τελευταία δημοσίευση

Επιστροφή στο “Eικαστικές τέχνες”

Phorum.com.gr : Αποποίηση Ευθυνών